There’s no question that potatoes make some of the world’s favorite comfort foods – from fries, to creamy mashed potatoes, to tater tots. But there’s not a whole lot of nutrition or flavor in potatoes alone, so in this updated latke recipe we’ve added carrots for sweetness, flavor, and extra vitamins!
Served hot and crispy with a generous spoonful of sour cream and chives, these latkes will hit the spot on any night. Get ready to roll up your sleeves and fry, baby!
Carrot potato pancakes
PrintPrep40 minutes Cook Time25 minutes Yield20 pancakes
- 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled
- 4 large carrots, peeled, ends trimmed
- 1 medium onion
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- Oil, for frying
- Sour cream, for dipping
- Chives, for garnish
- Using a food processor with the grating disc, grate potatoes, carrots and onion. Transfer to large mixing bowl, and press to drain any excess liquids.
- Beat eggs, and add to bowl. Add cornstarch, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat completely.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or skillet on medium heat. Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to scoop out batter. Flatten, and fry for 3-4 minutes per side. Repeat until all batter is fried (stir with a fork before scooping each batch if ingredients have separated).
- Serve with sour cream and snipped chives.