In my family, strawberry shortcake is one of those desserts we have once in a blue moon. But I saw these sweet little shells hanging out in my grocer’s fridge right next to the strawberries and was struck with one of those lightning bolts – why bake a cake from scratch when I can use these ready-made ones?
The truth is, there’s nothing like home-baked. But there’s also nothing like a relaxed, happy hostess – so sometimes you’ve got to compromise. This year-round recipe is the perfect compromise – a little store-bought, a little of your own special touch. And the end result is delicious.
Shortcut Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe
PrintPrep15 minutes Yield6 people
- 6 ounces frozen raspberries (defrosted)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 lb strawberries
- 6 dessert shells
- 1 can or tub whipped cream
- Put raspberries, sugar, lemon juice and zest into a magic bullet or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Dice 8-10 of the strawberries. Fill the center of each shortcake with a pile of diced strawberries.
- Top diced strawberries with a generous spoonful of raspberry puree.
- Place a dollop or large squirt of whipped cream on top, and then garnish with fanned strawberries.
- You can place dots or drizzles of raspberry puree on the plate for a gourmet touch, and serve with whole strawberries.