The Hebrew word malei means “full” – which is exactly how you’ll feel after partaking of this hummus dish! And we’d like to introduce one more way to serve up hummus – as a background to perfectly seasoned ground meat, topped with caramelized shawarma-flavored onions.
If you’ve got a group of friends ready to share this with you, definitely double up on the ingredients. You can use leftovers for an awesome sandwich on a sub with lettuce and tomato – no mayo needed!
PrintPrep20 minutes Cook Time20 minutes
- 1 lb ground beef or dark meat turkey
- 2 onions, diced
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- Your favorite hummus
- Pereg shawarma seasoning
- Ground red pepper, optional
- Olive oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan. Add ground meat and break up chunks, cooking until meat is no longer pink. (pressing down with the back of a fork does a good job of breaking up the meat). Stir in 1/2 cup marinara.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons shawarma seasoning, and a dash of black pepper. Transfer meat to a bowl. Taste, and add more seasoning (and red pepper) if desired.
- In the same pan, heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Sautee onions until golden and caramelized. Season with 1 tablespoon shawarma seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Spread hummus out onto a serving plate, leaving a well in the middle. Fill the well with ground beef, placing fried onions in the center.
- Serve with warm pita wedges or pita chips to scoop up the hummus.
Pereg is an Israeli brand of shawarma spice sold in the U.S. If you can’t find it, make your own blend by combining 1 tablespoon each of paprika, salt, allspice and cumin, and 1 teaspoon each of turmeric and black pepper.